THE QUICKEST & EASIEST WAY TO HAND CARE
We use our hands constantly, so they need protection. Avoid harsh soaps and extremes of temperature, and wear protective gloves for housework and gardening—and take advantage of the range of moisturizers nature provides.
Well-maintained hands remain supple, move gracefully and stay attractive longer, so pamper your hands with these soothing home remedies.
For smooth, soft hands, apply this mask once a week.
- 1/2 cucumber
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) yogurt
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) avocado oil
- 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
- 2 drops peppermint oil
Peel and purée the cucumber then beat the egg whites until stiff. Mix all the ingredients and spread on your hands. Leave for 15 minutes before rinsing off with warm water.
TREATING rough hands
- To make chapped hands soft, pour 11/4 cups (300 ml) boiling water over 1/2 cup (125 ml) fennel seeds, steep for 10 minutes, strain and cool. Soak your hands in this infusion for 2 minutes every time you wash them.
- To rejuvenate dry skin, use a yogurt and egg poultice once a week. Mix 2 tablespoons (30 ml) yogurt, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) cream cheese, 1 egg yolk, 1 tablespoon (15 ml) honey and 2 tablespoons (30 ml) lemon juice. Apply a thick layer to the hands. Wash off with warm water after 15 minutes or so.
- For an exfoliating scrub that will smooth rough skin, stir 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sugar into a little lemon or grapefruit juice and rub your hands with it before rinsing with warm water.
- To make an oil and honey massage that leaves skin noticeably softer, mix 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey and 2 teaspoons (10 ml) almond oil. Massage into dry, chapped hands. Let it work overnight (wear cotton gloves) and rinse with warm water in the morning.
- For a moisturizing emulsion that will cleanse, stir 1 teaspoon (5 ml) honey and the juice of half a lemon into 1/2 cup (100 ml) warm milk.
- Make a daily hand cream by pouring the juice of 2 lemons through a cheesecloth. Mix the clear juice with an equal amount of almond oil. Melt 5 teaspoons (25 ml) beeswax in a pan over warm water, add the lemon–almond oil mixture and stir until the liquid cools. Add 5 drops citrus oil (lemon, grapefruit, neroli or lemongrass). Pour into a clean jar and store in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Soaking hands once a week in warm olive oil will also restore their softness.